There’s a lot of lists out there on “it” bags but I usually find them to cluster around certain types of purses and don’t really represent the “it” bag for each type of purse. Here’s my attempt to cover the gamut of different styles of bags in list form, incorporating my own preferences and considering the bag’s longevity in the fashion scene.
- The top handle: Louis Vuitton Speedy 30, Celine Triangle bag
- The bucket bag: Mansur Gavriel drawstring shoulder bag, Loeffler Randall Industry bag
- The flap bag: Chanel Boy bag, Celine Classic flap
- The structured luxe bag: Givenchy Antigona, Valextra B-shopping
- The crossbody: Rebecca Minkoff Mini M.A.C., Givenchy Obsedia
- The clutch: M2Malletier La Fleur Du Mal clutch, Alexander McQueen box clutch
- The carry everything purse: Saint Laurent Ligne Classique Y, Balenciaga City leather tote
- The whimsical bag: Charlotte Olympia, Fendi Buggies
- The backpack: Elizabeth and James leather backpack, The Row leather backpack
- The tote: Sophie Hulme mini leather tote, Celine Luggage tote
Note: The Hermès Birkin does not appear on the list because it is THE “IT” bag that spawned all the others that there is no need to even mention it. The yet-unavailable Louis Vuitton Petite-Malle which was debuted by Nicholas Ghesquiere during Paris Fashion Week in March 2014 is not on this list but it shows promising signs of becoming the next “it” bag.
The List will be published every two weeks as a way to curate the hottest fashion items.